Oak Grove United Methodist Church History
During the early 1900's the people of this community worshiped at Queens
Creek Methodist Church and Bear Creek Baptist Church. Around 1910, Methodist
worship services and Sunday school classes were held in the Bear Creek
schoolhouse. These services led to the chartering of the church.
In 1926 an unfinished, wooden, four-room building was purchased from the
Unitarians on the site where the church is today. The land was deeded to
trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South by Cora Sanders and heirs of
the late D. J. Sanders. The land for the church cemetery was given by Carrie
Freshwater Farnell. The church was officially named Oak Grove Methodist
A Ladies Aide Society was organized with most of the members having to walk
to the meetings. The women sometimes brought eggs and other farm products to
sell to raise money for the church or some special project.
As membership grew, more room was needed. An addition of two Sunday school
rooms and a hall was added on the acquired building.
At that time Oak Grove was part of a five point charge, consisting of the
following churches: Swansboro, Midway, Bethlehem, Queens Creek, and Oak Grove.
One pastor had to serve all five churches.
In 1956 a committee was appointed to start an education building to provide
Sunday school classrooms, a kitchen, and a fellowship hall. On Easter Sunday
1959 this building was dedicated and named "The Edna Mullen Education Building,"
after the chairperson of the committee.
With attendance increasing, the need for a larger sanctuary became apparent,
and a building committee was appointed. The wooden church building was given
to a Baptist mission (Centerview) in Jacksonville, NC. Ground breaking services
were held March 10, 1969. The consecration service was held in the new church
July 27, 1969. Most of the furnishings were donated as memorials. The building
was dedicated May 4, 1975.
In June of 1984 Queens Creek United Methodist Church went "station". Oak
Grove is now a part-station church, which means our minister is part-time.
During 1993 a new pastor's office was added to the church building. Also in
1993 Mattocks and Zeta Sanders donated land on Bear Creek Road for a
parsonage. The land was cleared and a ground breaking service was held
October 31, 1993
Early in 1994 construction began on the parsonage. The brick home was
completed and furnished by June 1994. That same month we were assigned Rev.
Timothy S Taylor. He and his wife, Kimberly, resided in the parsonage. The
mortgage was paid in full in 11 months.
adapted & updated from the church history by Christine Matthews
Back to Onslow County Church Information and Research
Back to Onslow County Page